Withings Scale reading for Today

Friday, August 12, 2011

Steep slope

Well, I have been doing the "bariatrics" diet for about six weeks and except for the week I spent in Texas, I have managed to post great weight loss. I did not gain any weight while in Texas, and I did eat good food while there so I tally that up as good! I have managed to lose about 35 pounds in 6 weeks and almost 50 pounds since I started this blog back in April. When I get to 300 (in about 7 pounds) I will have made it to where I was 2 years ago. But when I make it below that, I will be in the 200's which I have not seen since I quit smoking 10 years ago this Christmas.

I was about 300 back then and I told myself I could eat what I wanted if I quit smoking, and I'd worry about taking the weight off "later." Well, it is later. I have been fat my whole adult except for two times. The first time was when I lived in Colombia, South America and walked everywhere and didn't eat junk food and the second time was when I lost almost 90 lbs in graduate school and was teaching aerobics at the U of A Rec. Center. Both times I was not heavy, I had adopted a healthy life style. I am basically lazy but if I put myself into situations where I need to move my ass then I can and do maintain a healthy weight. I just need to do that again.

My long range plan is to put myself into healthy life patterns. I have made a deal with my friend, Diana Jones, who I taught aerobis with back in the day and who still teaches group fitness at the U of A that i would try to get back in teaching shape. There are Zumba classes at the Rec. Center and I want to be able to teach them! When I lived in Colombia, I learned how to dance these dances and I know I can have a good class.
I also plan to go on a pilgrimage in Spain next summer or fall. There is an ancient christian pilgrimage across northern Spain called El Camino de Santiago de Compostela or the Way of St. James of Compostela. Here is an excerpt from a site I found that does walking trips that tells how long it is:
"The main Camino route is the Camino Frances. This part of the Camino de Santiago traditionally starts in St Jean Pied de Port (in France) and finishes in Santiago de Compostela about 780km (500 miles) later."
I would really like to do this and am saving my money to go sometime during my 50th year on this planet which starts in October. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Actually during my 51st year on the planet but who's counting? Me, I guess! LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish you luck Charles. I am and always have been proud to call you my friend. You're a great talent and I'm sure an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I glad you are doing so well on your weigh loss I meant to tell you while we were in Texas that you were looking thinner, but there was so much going on. I had a great time the short while I was there though. Keep up the good work, I could take inspiration from you and should. The Spain trip sound great.
    Much love Brother dear,
    Therese

    ReplyDelete